Anyone interested in Pedagogy and Theatre of the Oppressed is invited to come together online on March 27 to share an exciting Forum Theatre performance of Raise Your Hand ONLY If You Know the Right Answer – created and performed by Rangbhumi (A Happy Playground) theatre group and young people 12-14 years old from Mumbai, India. The interactive performance will open a dialogue about the difficulties students and teachers face as they grapple with systems and pressures in school and at home and provide an excellent introduction to Theatre of the Oppressed and its relationship to pedagogy and activism.
After the performance there will be an opportunity to explore how participants might use Applied Theatre and other arts to support youth programs, educators, and teaching artists and to create future projects which center the voices of youth in the examination of educational systems and learning.
Breakout sessions will enable attendees to raise questions and share ideas about:
- Designing activities in which young people play with, create with, and learn from youth in other groups and cultures.
- Collaborating with Applied Theatre makers to design projects which support efforts to center the voices of young people in classrooms and after-school programs online and in person.
- Taking initial steps to decolonize the classroom and build a system that supports all students, staff, families, and teachers.
- Supporting youth engagement and learning with tools that provide ways for students to dive into social issues.
- Approaching shared learning responsibilities (“flip the classroom”) and finding teaching artists to help develop supporting materials.
If your school or organization does not currently use theatre or other arts, this is an opportunity to begin. If you already use the arts, this is an opportunity for collaborative expansion.
Don’t miss the chance to see Rangbhumi’s stunning performance and to explore Applied Theatre as a revolutionary tool to support and sustain youth in their desire to question and learn.
WHEN: Saturday, 27 March 2021 at 9:00 AM EST (2:00 PM CET, 6:30 PM IST)
WHERE: On Zoom. You will receive a link when you register.
TICKETS: Tickets are $10 USD.
LANGUAGE: English with Spanish translation.
REGISTER HERE – bit.ly/RYH_reg
Small group discussions will be facilitated by members of the international team of volunteers who planned this event, who are experienced theatre makers, teaching artists, and university educators from the US, Greece, Austria, and India. This team will also provide advice and assistance in future project development that results from this event.
For more information, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
NOTE: While this is not a PTO-created event, PTO is promoting and amplifying this event in partnership with the Center for Applied Theatre, Rangbhum, and other allies working in PTO and activism around the world! If you have an event you’d like PTO to amplify, please submit a community calendar request.