Pedagogy and Theatre of the Oppressed, Inc. is working to better amplify the work of Pedagogy of the Oppressed and Theatre of the Oppressed practitioners, activists, and organizers. To accomplish this, PTO would like to invite you to send us information about your work that we may include in a monthly newsletter.
Content: Content that PTO would like to amplify includes any work in alignment with our mission: Pedagogy & Theatre of the Oppressed, Inc. (PTO) supports people whose work challenges oppressive systems by promoting critical thinking and social justice through liberatory theatre and popular education. Our approaches stem from the theories and practices of Paulo Freire and Augusto Boal. We foster collaborative connections to share, develop, promote, and document liberatory theatre, popular education, and other revolutionary actions. PTO serves as a resource for oppressed peoples and their allies in diverse communities, contexts, and traditions around the world.
Examples of content related to Pedagogy of the Oppressed practices that PTO would like to amplify may include:
- Resources, workshops, exercises, or curriculum, that focuses on liberation and anti-oppression alongside marginalized communities (which have a plan of action to avoid spreading Covid-19)
- Creative dialogue formats that encourage self-reflection and anti-violence
- Research or findings of PO practices in communities
- Any activities focused on education or discussion of racial justice, abolition, gender justice, disability justice, class struggle, sexuality liberation, immigrant and refugee rights, and trauma-informed/healing centered action
- Upcoming events or workshops on PO – local to your community, to the PO community, or to the general public
Examples of content related to Theatre of the Oppressed practices that PTO would like to amplify may include:
- Resources, workshops, exercises, or curriculum that work well online and in person (which have a plan of action to avoid spreading Covid-19)
- Resources, workshops, exercises, or curriculum for theatre of the oppressed as a whole and/or jokering
- Research or findings of TO practices in communities
- Upcoming events or workshops on TO – local to your community, to the TO community, or to the general public
Examples of content that will not be shared:
- Fundraising that is specific to a single person or family
- Practices that maintain oppression or the status-quo, including “savior” mentality activities or facism.
- Events which call for physical violence against a person or marginalized group.
- Events which collaborate with police, immigration enforcement, or any other law enforcement with a history tied to slavery, racism, and/or class oppression. Content with a focus on abolition and ending law enforcement are encouraged!
Format: Please include brief information about the event, curriculum, or resources; how people may contribute, collaborate, or access the content; any relevant deadlines; and images that may be used by PTO to amplify your work.
How to PTO content & how it will be used: Please send your amplification requests to firstname.lastname@example.org, share it on our Facebook page, or message it to our Facebook page. We will compile all of the information to send out the first Thursday of each month via our email listserv, as a post on our website, and across our social media platforms. Please send your request to PTO no later than the first Monday of each month. Please feel free to add email@example.com to your organization’s email listserv if you’d like for us to boost your listserv content in our Raising Revolutionary Voices Newsletter.